Now that social gatherings have been put on hold, i believe this is a test of our true love and affection for the things of God. Perhaps it was easier to be the first in church because others saw and hailed us for it. Now that we are at home, are we eager to fellowship with God the way we were eager to go to church? Are we eager to study God’s word the same way we were eager to be the first at that bible study class? ….Food for thought…. While we are not to forsake the gathering of the brethren, we should also learn to develop our personal fellowship with God.
The dictionary meaning of fellowship is: friendly association, especially with people who share one’s interests. Every man born of a woman is sinful in nature. It is only the life of God that changes us. When we fellowship with him, we draw life from Him thereby receiving the needed light to be truly transformed.
(In Him was life and that life was the light of men. John 1:4)
(But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord
2 Corinthians 3:18)
How do we fellowship with God? Just picture your spouse and the qualities that make for a good relationship.
1) Good Communication (prayer)
2) You desire to be where he/she is (relationship with the HolySpirit)
3) You care about what he/she thinks and you want to make them happy (word study)
4) Intimacy (Worship)
5) You appreciate him/her (Thanksgiving and praise)
However, there can’t be true fellowship without:
1)sincerity and openness (If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1John 1:8)
2)Humility and surrender (The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worshiped him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying: Revelation 4:10)
3)Thirst and hunger; desire (Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
4) Faith (For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
5) Determination (For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries. 1 Corinthians 16:9)
Here is what scripture says about fellowship
1 John 1:5-10
5.This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7.But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9.If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Oh what joy when we fellowship with God! What peace we find! Something changes, progress is made, light is caught, from glory to glory we saor.